Tag Archives: android

Developing Android Apps: 10 Performance-Boosting Strategies

In working on my spare-time app BostonBusMap, I’ve repeatedly run into problems where I need to cut down on memory usage or running time. It’s not difficult to hit memory limitations on Android, especially on earlier devices which may allow only 16MB per app. Garbage collection can cause noticeable hiccups (especially before Android 2.3), which is one reason why memory usage can impact an app’s sluggishness. Here’s a list of things I did to make my app more responsive:

  1. First, read the Android performance guidelines. It’s also worth rereading this page from time to time because newer Android versions have more advanced capabilities that may influence the optimizations you make.
  2. One other important thing that bears repeating from that page is, don’t optimize unless you can show that there’s a bottleneck, because optimizing is a lot of work and can make code less maintainable
  3. Memory allocations are expensive. Be lazy in allocating objects if they are only used in edge cases
  4. Use DDMS. This is available within Eclipse and as a standalone tool:
    1. Profile against smaller amounts of data at first, to make the experience less painful and time consuming for you. Debugging will slow your app down in general
    2. Click on the green cylindrical icon to the left (called “Update Heap”) to turn on heap tracking for a thread. This will update whenever a garbage collection occurs (you can also force garbage collections) Continue reading Developing Android Apps: 10 Performance-Boosting Strategies

MBTA Bus Locator

I wrote an app for my G1 to get information from the real-time MBTA bus location feed and display it in Google Maps as bus icons. It was an interesting experience to develop for.

The Android eclipse environment has its fair share of hiccups unfortunately, simple things like how a down arrow usually behaves, or not being able to scroll all the way to the bottom of a list using your mouse scrollwheel. The emulator and eclipse’s debugging capabilities were really helpful, and robust for the most part. The most difficult thing in developing for it was figuring out how to do what I wanted to do, what functions and classes to use. I guess that’s inherent in developing for a new platform.

The app is pretty simple. It’s one screen, with most of it taken up by Google Maps and a bar at the top containing space for a refresh button and a status update box. It defaults to Watertown square when it starts, although that could easily be changed to use GPS or something else. When the app starts and when the refresh button is pushed, it retrieves a list of bus locations from the feed XML. Those locations are sorted by distance to get the 20 closest buses to where the center of the map is. (The distance is currently computed by sqrt(latitude^2 + longitude^2). This is slightly incorrect since a difference in latitude may be smaller or larger than a difference in longitude. I’ll fix that soon using this. Overlays are then created using a bus picture I got from Wikipedia and inserted into Google Maps. Continue reading MBTA Bus Locator