Once upon a time…
I was helping a customer with his web application, which was dynamically generating Excel workbooks, but he was running into a complication that was happening on his site but not others. On this particular site, every time he tried to download one of the workbooks, he got the following error message from Internet explorer:
Internet Explorer cannot download <page name>.aspx from <server>. Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later.
The plot thickens…
This message can occur if Internet Explorer attempts to open a downloaded file in Office, but is unable to save the file to the local cache directory. The most common reasons for the behavior are: Continue reading Downloading Excel file: Internet Explorer cannot download ‘page’.aspx
I just completed an in place upgrade of SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2010. What a crazy experience! Just when you think the upgrade was successful, you run into lots of errors! It took me quite a few days to iron out all of the issues and spent countless hours searching the Internet to find solutions. Here are just a few of the issues that I ran into, in no particular order. Maybe this can be helpful for others.
Application Event log error: “Load control template file /_controltemplates/TaxonomyPicker.ascx failed”
- Solution: Rename the 14\templates\controltemplates\taxonomypicker.ascx file. It is no longer used and shouldn’t even be there.
- See: Help Wanted: Taxonomy Picker
SharePoint error: Some or all identity references could not be translated
- Don’t use an account name longer than 20 characters
- Don’t delete an account without being sure it’s no longer in use somewhere in SharePoint
I ran into an issue today with how the IIS 7.0 admin GUI deals with SSL certificates when assigning bindings to web sites. I had two websites that I was binding to the same IP address, but I was using different ports for each (including different ports for SSL). Even though I was using a different SSL port for the second website, it was telling me that my certificate was already in use by another website and that changing the setting would affect the other site. The strange thing was, I was using two completely different certificates. Why in the world would it tell me my certificate was in use on the other website, when it clearly was not? Changing the SSL settings on one site would end up deleting the settings on the other site. After searching online, I found out that there are some known bugs with how the admin GUI deals with bindings and SSL in general. By settings the bindings on the command line, I was able to work around the issue.
Below are some useful command line commands that can assist in creating SSL bindings manually.
To list SSL certificates in use, with their bindings: Continue reading Configuring SSL Bindings Directly for Http.sys
Potential connection issues can occur between the SilverDust server, BES, and SilverDust blackberry client if SSL encryption is used. We recommended SSL be used in every production SilverDust environment to encrypt SharePoint content between SD Server and the BES/blackberry.
This post also serves as a general guide for accessing any SSL enabled website from the blackberry.
There are two ways a blackberry can complete a SSL handshake. The first option, called proxy mode, allow’s the BES to complete the handshake on a blackberry’s behalf. The second option, called handheld mode, allows the blackberry to directly complete the handshake.
To enabled handheld mode change the TLS default setting on the blackberry. This setting can be adjusted on the handheld by navigating to options->security options->advanced security options->TLS Default->change the setting between proxy and handheld. The default is proxy mode or set an IT policy value to force handheld mode. Continue reading SSL Certificates, Blackberries, BES, and SilverDust